Friday, January 30, 2009

American coverage of Isreali-Palestinian conflict

For a long while, I have had the perception that Israel was the country that was being antagonized. However, and many news sources through the years I felt have portrayed Israel in this light. When I here Palestine, I think of the protagonist in this conflict. I know question if my perception was molded by what I saw on television. I am now starting to think yes it was.

I just read an article from the Washington Post describing why we do not hear too much about talks with Palestine. They describe Hamas as being the majority in Palestine. The article says that President Bush declared Hamas a terrorist network and therefore has no room for any negotiating. This leads me to believe that once that announcement was made, the American media would then show Hamas in that light. Since we do not get a broader selection of sources here for our printed and televised media, we do not have many sources to oppose this portrayal.

I have noticed that many articles make Israel the more dominant of the two. I come to this conclusion because while doing my research, I noticed all the negotiating goes directly to Israel. It has been cited in many sources that America has close ties to Israel. It is fact that America aids Israel with military weapons. Recently, in an article in the New York Times, Greece puts a stop to America giving an extraordinarily huge amount of weapons to Israel. So that leads me to this question. Is it our war or Israel’s?

No comments:

Post a Comment